Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Long's Peak Hike

If you are thinking about doing any 14'ers this year, you've probably considered Long's Peak. Now's the time to get in and make your reservations at the Boulder Field, otherwise you'll be waking up at 1:00 in the morning just to get there in time for the hike. They only have 8 sites available, and they go fast - many sites are already reserved. The trail is usually hikeable from late July until early September, although sometimes the snow never clears off, so if you have some free time around then and want to have a neat way to end the summer, make your plans ASAP.

I think my Dad and I are going to go, and so I am going to make reservations as soon as I get a suitable date range from him - if you want to go yourself, here's what you'll need to do:
- Call Rocky Mountain National Parks at (970)586-1206 to find out if there are still any openings on the day you are looking at going.
- Type up a letter specifying your Name, Address, Phone Number, and Party Members, and request the site you want at the time you want.
- Send the letter to Backcountry Office, 1000 Hwy 36 W, Estes Park, CO 80517.
- Start collecting gear and getting in shape, if you aren't fully prepared yet!

I'll post updates on our planned trip, and see if I can drum up some interesting Long's Peak links and gear lists.

No comments:

Outdoor Products